Literally and figuratively!
The networks have been going crazy for Texas! Just look at some of the shows on television right now: Most Eligible: Dallas, Big Rich Texas, Bordertown: Laredo, Storage Wars: Texas, GCB and soon we’ll see everyone’s favorite wealthy, oil-drilling, cattle-ranching family – the Ewings –back on TV in the new Dallas re-boot. It’s great to see our state get so much TV love!
So all y’all new Texas fans, did you know that today is Texas Independence Day? Did you even know Texas had an Independence Day? It’s true. On March 2, 1836, the Texas Declaration of Independence was adopted. With this document, settlers in Mexican Texas officially broke from Mexico, creating the Republic of Texas.
Here are a few more fun facts about our great state!
1. We’re a friendly state: Texas comes from “Tejas” which is a Hasinai Indian word that means friends or allies.
2. We’re independent: Texas was an independent nation and is the only state to enter the US by treaty instead of territorial annexation.
3. Don’t tag our cattle: In Texas, it’s illegal to put graffiti on someone else’s cow.
4. We like coke (not soda or pop): Dr Pepper was invented in Waco, TX in 1885 – and there is no period after the Dr in Dr Pepper.
5. It’s a big state: Texas is larger than most European countries. For a US comparison, Texas is as large as Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York and all of New England combined.
6. It’s not all flat farmland: Texas boasts a wide range of landscapes – coasts on the South, deserts and mountains out West, forests to the East, Panhandle plains, and in the heart of Texas, the famous hill country.
7. We have big cities too: Three of the Top Ten most populous US cities are in Texas: Houston, Dallas and San Antonio.
8. We have some weird critters: Texas’ native horny toad is actually a lizard and can shoot blood from its eyes.